[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: WoW quests and content

olag at ifi.uio.no olag at ifi.uio.no
Sat Feb 5 19:58:49 CET 2005

logic at jrlogic.dyndns.org:

> What type of gameplay are you talking about? Quests alone are
> really nothing more than a track to follow. Some games, for
> example, provide combat quests, crafting quests, healing
> quests... which are all gameplay types in their own right.

Hooo... I sadly agree that many quests are tracks to be followed,
but that doesn't mean they have to be.

A quest is a set of goals which when they are all completed give you
a sense of closure and a feeling of having experienced something
with story-qualities.

> Quests are a tool used to direct the player to (hopefully)
> interesting content along the play-style path they have chosen.

They can be. I find such quests boring, a good quest provides
something interesting in itself.

Ola.