[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: WoW quests and content

logic at jrlogic.dyndns.org logic at jrlogic.dyndns.org
Thu Feb 3 23:51:23 CET 2005

> Mike Rozak <Mike at mxac.com.au> wrote:

>> What am I missing? (Perhaps I'm missing some quest/content-design
>> subtlety.)

> Because the game is build on doing quests it will also attract
> players who like this type of gameplay and they will in turn love it
> and praise it, claiming it's the best thing since sliced bread.

What type of gameplay are you talking about? Quests alone are really
nothing more than a track to follow. Some games, for example, provide
combat quests, crafting quests, healing quests... which are all gameplay
types in their own right. Quests are a tool used to direct the player to
(hopefully) interesting content along the play-style path they have
chosen.

I suppose players that enjoy a "directed" experience will appreciate a
quest-oriented game, if that's what you are getting at. Quests are a great
way to say "The fun is over THERE! Go get it! Bring some friends!" They
are also useful to teach players how to play the game -- taking a newbie
through combat basics, grouping, etc.

> The
> quests make for poor replayability though since once you have done
> the quest with one character it will be the same with your other
> characters as well.

If the game is designed with only one quest track for all players, this
may be true.

Most of my "replay" experiences in MMO's usually involve me trying a new
archetype and quests aren't the same for each archetype. Consequently, I
also (usually) experience new content.