[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

HRose hrose at tiscali.it
Thu Sep 23 11:28:50 CEST 2004

Jeff Freeman wrote:

> I like the approach D&D Online is taking, where you earn XP by
> completing objectives (e.g. "Kill the boss monster in this
> dungeon, get a bunch of XP for 'winning the dungeon'"), but not
> for killing indivual creatures.

WoW has a similar approach with the difference that you still
achieve some exp from each kill. I think it's a better way to go
because the system isn't broken on its own. The bad part is in its
overuse and when the overuse shades completely everything else to
become the only soul.

In fact, along the months, WoW lost a lot of its charm and the quest
experience has been nerfed severely to a state where the balance is
completely screwed, imho. But the model works if it's well
balanced. We take the good parts of both system, the "purpose" and
the direct reward from the fight.

-HRose / Abalieno