[MUD-Dev] Cognitively Interesting Combat

Ben Hawes cruise at casual-tempest.net
Wed Sep 22 17:50:04 CEST 2004

Ben Hawes wrote:

> You might find the changes I've made help, but this is a
> refinement I've been considering:

> The person who is winning on balance (just balance), picks
> first. The second player then is gets to know the /type/ of move
> the frst player chose when picking theirs.

> Once both moves are picked, the move speed and player agility are
> added to the balance for the final who hits first decision, and
> then resolution occurs as now.

Okay, I've now implemented a version of this:

  http://www.casual-tempest.net/combat/new.php

The original version was based on the principles of choice and
variety, in an attempt to foster genuine strategy.

However, it was criticsed for being too random, and relying too much
on guesswork. Leading to a single consistent choice which maximised
consistency and minimised guesswork.

The new system removes much of the randomness and
guesswork. Interestingly, my concerns below have so far proved
unfounded.

> This would reduce the guessing aspect of the game, but I have the
> feeling most decisions would become pointless. If you go first,
> and block, then your opponent is unlikely to bother attacking,
> rendering the block unnecessary. So, even more so than before,
> attack becomes the dominant strategy. But if you attack, then the
> opponent will definately block, and since those are faster, you'll
> be blocked - going first becomes almost a /bad/ thing. Which is an
> interesting turnaround, admittedly.

This has actually meant some moves have become /more/
useful. Feint's, in particular, are now very useful, since the
player only knows an attack of some kind is coming, and blocking
feints is usually a bad idea. Going first is a tough choice, and
indeed, defensive play for the most part is a very good option,
which is another goal for this system - making defensive strategies
worthwhile.

--
	"quantam sufficit"
[ cruise / casual-tempest.net / transference.org ]