[MUD-Dev] Cognitively Interesting Combat

Ben Hawes cruise at casual-tempest.net
Fri Sep 10 01:21:57 CEST 2004

Replying to two posts here, as they were both similar:

Byron Ellacott wrote:
> ceo wrote:

> Always use the blademaster and thrust.

>> The basic version is too boring because of the one-hit-kill (it
>> seems almost worth thrusting every time to start off with,
>> because of hte high probabilty you win outright?).

Okay, this is confirming a nagging feeling - I've tweaked the values
to be more block friendly, and I've aldo reduced the
randomness. Before, the random component was -1>> 2. I've changed
that to 0>> 1.

You might find this a little better, but I would recommend you try
playing two-player (or the story version) - I based a lot of the
'feel' off beat'em'ups like Tekken, and a similar playstyle helps.

>> But...rather than an information-light post :) I do have
>> something useful to add. Can you make a java version, using some
>> simple interfaces? (if you can't code java, I could probably
>> convert it myself given some help + source)

I was already intending to do this very thing :P Primarily so my
beta-testers could play each other online. The learning algorithm is
a wonderful idea - I was contemplating a basic learning algo, but
since you got there first, I'd prefer to use yours :P

> See the game Spellcast[1] for an attack/counterattack game that
> isn't played blind.  In this game, the two players are duelling
> wizards, who make various hand signals to cast spells.  In each
> round of combat, the wizards make one hand signal each, blind of
> the others' choice.  Spells require sequences of signals to
> complete casting, and so over the course of a few rounds the list
> of possible spells being cast is reduced.  As an added complexity,
> wizards have two hands.  Some signals require the use of both
> hands, some spells can be cast entirely with one hand.

You might find the changes I've made help, but this is a refinement
I've been considering:

The person who is winning on balance (just balance), picks
first. The second player then is gets to know the /type/ of move the
frst player chose when picking theirs.

Once both moves are picked, the move speed and player agility are
added to the balance for the final who hits first decision, and then
resolution occurs as now.

This would reduce the guessing aspect of the game, but I have the
feeling most decisions would become pointless. If you go first, and
block, then your opponent is unlikely to bother attacking, rendering
the block unnecessary. So, even more so than before, attack becomes
the dominant strategy. But if you attack, then the opponent will
definately block, and since those are faster, you'll be blocked -
going first becomes almost a /bad/ thing. Which is an interesting
turnaround, admittedly.

--
	"quantam sufficit"
[ cruise / casual-tempest.net / transference.org ]