[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

Corey Cauble ccauble at pacblue.com
Sat Sep 18 17:19:56 CEST 2004

Brian at thyer.net wrote:

> How is this really different than an experience system?  You go
> out, you kill a bunch of things, you accomplish something (becasue
> killing 150,000 goblins for your next level *is* an
> accomplishment) and you get your level.

<snip>

> So is it grinding?  Certainly, but it's *mission* grinding.  Which
> I think is what you're describing as well.  The focus goes to the
> missions on your plate and you become more interested in working
> your way through them than you do working through the level you're
> in.

> So why get rid of the xp point at all?  Why not leave it in and
> those who want to grind in the more "traditional" sense can, while
> those who want to mission grind can do it that way to?

I agree the described system sounds like an all Quest based one. The
key to making something like this work is building a dynamic quest
system.  It should keep the content from becoming stale and keep the
predictability of the game low. This would allow for people to have
multiple characters in a game and not get bored by the so called
"grind".

There really is no reason to not have the traditional XP system left
into the game, just balance the reward towards the quest and deliver
XP enough for the level you wish to provide. This could give players
additional "kill" XP and provide a comfort zone of a system they are
familiar with as well.

IMHO this is what the market needs. Step away from the copycat
syndrome and deliver something that impresses. This means no "rat in
cellar" quests thou ;)