[MUD-Dev] Griefer repellant (Was Decision making...)

Mike Rozak Mike at mxac.com.au
Fri Sep 17 03:38:57 CEST 2004

Chek Yang FOO wrote:

> Well, I'm doing halfway in a 4 year formal study of grief play in
> MMORPGs, and while I haven't come to the point where I can say
> with conclusion the kind of VWs they're attracted to, the data 'so
> far' seems to suggest that grief players are attracted to VWs
> where there is easy prey (e.g. newbies, large disparity between
> player skill levels with continual influx of new players),
> environments that encourage or at least don't inhibit aggressive
> player to player types of activity (e.g. PvP in an MMORPG), and
> VWs where enforcement of rules are not so stringent (e.g. for
> MMORPGs, low game management representation in-game, or game rules
> on aggressive play are forgiving).

Some questions which you may or may not have learned the answers to:

Is there a correlation between player's age/gender and griefing?

Is there a correlation between the player's education (HS only, 2
yr, 4 yr, master, etc.) and griefing, once age is accounted for?

Is there a correlation between the player's country and griefing?

Is there a correlation between the player's time spent on line and
griefing?

Does how the VW is marketed affect griefing? Ie: Will a VW named
"Fairyland" have more/fewer griefers than a VW named "Risk your
life"?

Does the VW's content affect griefing? Ex: If the VW is about
combat, are there more griefers than if the VW de-emphasizes combat
and encourages role play, socialization, puzzles, etc?

Does showing levels encourage griefing? I recall seeing one
MMORPG/MUD claiming that griefing wouldn't be an issue be players
couldn't see what level their enemy was. Of course, if levels aren't
shown, equipment gives a clue, so a game would also have to hide
that.

Does lack of quests encourage griefing?

Mike Rozak
http://www.mxac.com.au