[MUD-Dev] Griefer repellant (Was Decision making...)

Ola Fosheim Grøstad olag at ifi.uio.no
Thu Sep 16 19:19:19 CEST 2004

"Chek Yang FOO" <chekyang at chekyang.com> writes:

> conclusion the kind of VWs they're attracted to, the data 'so far'
> seems to suggest that grief players are attracted to VWs where
> there is easy prey (e.g. newbies, large disparity between player
> skill levels with continual influx of new players), environments
> that encourage or at least don't inhibit aggressive player to
> player types of activity (e.g. PvP in an MMORPG), and VWs where
> enforcement of rules are not so stringent (e.g. for MMORPGs, low
> game management representation in-game, or game rules on
> aggressive play are forgiving).

How do you define "grief player" and "grief play"?

In AO there has been this PvP game where an unarmoured (naked)
martial arts twink, who is PvP enabled, beg newbies to kill
them. Most likely to farm PvP-points. Are these players' "griefers",
or are they simply achievers with a sense of humour?

Is a roleplayer who always jumps in to help kill evil things
kill-stealing, and thereby a "grief player"?

Is a roleplayer who plays a stupid troll that keeps on
misunderstanding the situation, say funny instults and attack people
around him until they leave a "grief player" or a great artist?

I understand the commercial defintion of "grief player" which simply
is "players who cost us profit", but if we view virtual worlds from
an aesthetical/ethical perspective then I have trouble with the
term... The obvious reason is, of course, that games are spaces that
allow us to act-out and causing drama. It is supposed to legal.

--
Ola - http://folk.uio.no/olag/