[MUD-Dev] Shift in time

Brian Lindahl lindahlb at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 7 16:57:46 CEST 2004

"Matt Mihaly" <matt at ironrealms.com> wrote:

> It got a bit boring for some of us to do so when the list became
> interested primarily in talking about how to make games that would
> make the most money. I certainly have no aversion to that but a
> lot of small developers, such as us, aren't trying to make games
> that make the most money or garner the most mainstream audience or
> whatnot.

I do (have an aversion), but thats why I'm not moderator, lol. I
guess I just want that old idea board back - when I've posted up
some of my own, minimal responses were garnished - compared to how
it used to be.

> MMORPGs are just another name for MUD. I don't believe "MUD"
> implies anything about gameplay or audience. And if you believe
> MUD means an interactive story then I have to wonder how many
> you've played. ;) The original MUD was certainly quite short on
> story. Some MUDs are big on story, of course, but the vast
> majority are monster bashing fests.

Eh, I suppose you're right. I'm just trying to hang on to the
concepts applied towards the real RP MUDs out there - the ones that
go after an interactive story (insert acronym here). There's a big
difference between that and the monster bashing / pointless questing
that MMORPGs glorify (and I admit, most MUDs too) - I just don't see
the appeal in becoming a drone.