[MUD-Dev] BIZ: Europe & Distrubution

Ghilardi Filippo ghilardi at dsfinance.it
Mon Nov 8 11:31:24 CET 2004

Johan wrote:

> Yes sorry about that, I meant that no large-scale game has been
> available online from day 1. Say Blizzard offering to buy the game
> over the Internet now, download the client end purchase a
> cd-key. This way Europeans could buy the game without having to
> pay double the price on ebay or a US retailer.

The real thing that is making crazy a lot of gamers isn't that
there's no direct download option. The reason is that you can't even
buy overseas (paying extra for shipping and tax). Blizzard will
actively block players checking credit cards and billing adresses.

Also they clearly told that europeans will have to play on european
servers. North Americans can play only on their respective
servers. So, not only there will be different accounts based on
region.

This has a big impact on international guilds. And many are
disappointed even if not part of an already estabilished
guild/community.

Probably at VUG (Vivendi Universal Games, publisher of Blizzard)
don't understand yet that a MMOG isn't like any other game. Is more
like a service than a product and customers don't like lies or bad
policies.

ciao
Filippo