[MUD-Dev] BIZ: Europe & Distrubution

Ghilardi Filippo ghilardi at dsfinance.it
Mon Nov 8 11:26:55 CET 2004

Tamzen Cannoy wrote:

> Having experienced the horror multiple times of downloading the
> entire WoW client and various patches I think a company would be
> slitting their throat if they did it for free other than using
> BitTorrent which Blizzard does. It's that or get your players to
> play you $5-10 each time they need to download something in a more
> timely manner. The 2.5G client took a full 24 hrs on a speedy
> business DSL line. My friends cable took nearly twice as much. I
> wouldn't become a paying customer for a game that completely tied
> up my internet link, pretty much not even allowing email to get
> through let alone any browsing. And while I might pay the extra $$
> for a faster way, I would not subscribe to another service, which
> is what Blizzard is telling us to do (Fileplanet), when said other
> service offers no other services of which I can make any use.

I think that Blizzard just built a bad implementation of BitTorrent
technology. I did downloaded full client at 150k sustained rate
(it's cap of my xDSL) just extracting .torrent from downloader and
using a standard client.

At same time yesterday I took 45mins to download 20Mb of patches,
proving that Blizzard should revise their download technology.

ciao
Filippo