[MUD-Dev] BIZ: Ban selling of in-game items for real cash?

Peter Keeler scion at divineright.org
Fri Jun 11 15:34:58 CEST 2004

Quoting Matt Mihaly <matt at ironrealms.com>:
> From: Kwon J. Ekstrom

>> Thanks, I dislike "banning" practices from players... doing so
>> always increases admin overhead with little/no real gain.  I find
>> that players react better to systems that discourage an action
>> than an outright ban.

> So banning, say, in-game sexual harassment isn't worthwhile? I'm
> going to go ahead and strongly disagree with you there.

That's stretching the point a lot farther than it was intended. I
thought the conversation was about players eBaying their items. I
would be very surprised if anybody on this list disagreed with
banning out of character abuse between players in any
form. Reselling purchased items is hardly comparable to sexual
abuse.

I believe the idea here was that it's better to have the code check
for people breaking rules because it frees up the admins to create
content rather than babysitting.

There's also the "if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns"
problem: if you ban eBaying outright, people will just get more
sneaky about it. It may be better to provide an in game means for
selling items so you can skim off the top for each transaction
rather than eBay. My personal opinion is that I'd rather know about
it and be annoyed by it than to be completely in the dark about it.

  Pete

                       --    scion at divineright.org    --
   ICQ: 1824934 || AIM: ScionAltera || MSN: ScionAltera || YIM: scionaltera
     == PGP Public Key: http://www.divineright.org/~scion/pete_key.txt ==