[MUD-Dev] DGN: Rooms, Directions, etc. - any alternatives?

Mark aoxy61 at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Jun 3 16:33:22 CEST 2004

From: Nathan Yospe
> On May 25, 2004, at 11:37 AM, J C Lawrence wrote:

> We also discussed a whole other twist where the world was laid out
> on a simple global coordinate system (think X/Y/Z coordinates),
> but segments of the world could be scaled mappings to other parts
> of the coordinate space or could simply contain a disjoint and
> different sized coordinate space within its boundaries (eg a
> TARDIS-like object which contains more space inside that its
> exterior dimensions, or a small house whose doors and windows,
> Alice-in-Wonderland-like exit all over the world and have
> non-proportional sizes on each side of the exit (huge door on one
> side, pinhole on the other)).  IIRC "nested coordinate spaces"
> should get you going search wise.

> Try these threads: "Room-based vs. coordinate-based", "Finding
> Space", "Rooms, 3D arrays, etc", "Sparse Arrays and co-ordinate
> based worlds", and, of course, the "Nested Coordinate spaces"
> thread J C refers to...

Surely, as any text adventurer will know, you need to map out your
progress thus far making it easier to return to previous locations.
Unless you use a simple direction and movement system, how do you
effectively construct your paper map? (which, lets be honest is as
useful as the brass lantern, or the elvin sword) :-)

-Mark.