[MUD-Dev] BIZ: Ban selling of in-game items for real cash?

Tess Snider malkin at terpalum.umd.edu
Thu Jun 3 15:27:51 CEST 2004

On Mon, 31 May 2004, Yumiko wrote:

> Speaking from a business standpoint of profit maximization, would
> it be a good idea to ban such practices?

I'm generally opposed to ever acknowledging any monetary value in
virtual goods, whatsoever, for liability reasons, but nonetheless,
I'll throw out a couple of ideas for you.  Kwon's idea of making
items less effective in other hands is intriguing.  Other
possibilities might include one of the following:

  1.) These special items decay when they are no longer in the hands
  of their original owners.

  2.) Donors can only give their special items to other donors.

  3.) Players can only trade away a special item if they receive a
  special item of comparable in-game value in the transaction.

  4.) Use Kwon's idea of making the item less powerful in a new set
  of hands, BUT enable players to reactivate capabilities through a
  small donation. You can say that the item needs to be "attuned" to
  the new character, before it can achieve its full capabilities.

I'm sure I can brainstorm a few more, if I get a few brain cycles
later.

Tess