[MUD-Dev] Re: Online vs Offline (was CoH and others)

Matt Mihaly matt at ironrealms.com
Sat Jul 24 03:20:04 CEST 2004

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:
> From: Erik Bethke [mailto:erikbethke at gmail.com]

>> This is true, but part of the problem is the game design of many
>> of the Korean MMOs.  Many of them such as Mu are little more than
>> Diablo with persistent characters, meaning that the gameplay
>> experience of the pirate server is pretty much the same as the
>> full service.  Thus, just like a packaged good game it is
>> vulnerable to piracy.

> I have a great idea for solving this and killing two birds with
> one stone.  Just hire griefers to go and play on the pirate
> servers and ruin everyones game experience on them :D Gets them
> off your servers, enfranchises them with a mission and damages the
> pirate servers!

Heh heh heh. Actually, that's not that different from what some
members of the music industry have done: Hire people to flood the
P2P networks with things that look like songs but are just noise or
imprecations not to steal.

To bring this back on track, in the small world of text muds,
there's often been flamewars over mud administrations sending people
to other muds to grief players and promote their "home mud." I think
it probably has an effect opposite of what's intended though,
insofar as it can make the community of the attacked mud feel under
siege, serving as a bonding experience.

--matt