[MUD-Dev] MMORPG Cancellations: The sky is falling?

Oliver Smith oliver at kfs.org
Fri Jul 9 00:13:55 CEST 2004

Cruise:

> I have to agree - "shallow" seems to be the major complaint
> against CoH - but it's simplicity is the point - you don't have to
> spend hours camping a mob for that incredibly rare item, or run
> around levelling up all your equipment each time you level. In
> other words, you can just go out and /play the game/, without
> stopping for than a minute.

That shallowness allows it to demonstrate a point: If winning is
fun, not winning is punishment enough in entertainment.

It's the embodiment of what ships console units and games:
Simplicity and choice combined to provide entertainment.

CoH has incredibly little "content", but what content it does have
it actually _delivers_, to you. Content and world are integrated, so
you don't have to use google for an hour to find out what to
do. Adventuring and exploration still get to make their appearance.

I doubt CoH will be a lasting success, but I hope it will be a basis
for a move away from the McQuaid/Koster concept of "the customer
wants to be beaten with a stick, needs to draw blood before they can
have fun".

- Ol