[MUD-Dev] Weekly focus on important issues (re: JC's post)

Edward Glowacki glowack2 at msu.edu
Tue Aug 17 18:51:00 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 10:36, J C Lawrence wrote:

> It could be interesting to implement a number of his observations on
> the list.  For instance I've considered dedicating MUD-Dev one day
> per week to "What are the important problems/questions in the
> field?"  The idea is that on that day of the week only posts which
> addressed that question would be moderated.  A similar pattern could
> work for "Great Thoughts Time" (!tm).

> Writing as list host:

>   I kinda like the idea.  Thoughts?  Which day or days?

I think the general idea of focused discussions about important
questions is great, but blocking all other conversation on a list
such as this might not be the best considering the number of
simultaneous discussions going on.  Here's one way you could make
the question a focus without shutting everything else down:

  1. Every Monday, post a new question for the week.

  2. Add a special flag to the subject of every approved post in the
  thread so everyone knows it's 'This Week's Important Issue'
  [TWII], i.e.

    Subject: [MUD-Dev] [TWII #1] Combat-less combat systems
    Subject: [MUD-Dev] [TWII #27] How to attract more griefers

    (feel free to come up with a better acronym and topics... ;) )

  3. "Aggressively moderate" posts so they are very on-topic, and
  maybe raise the bar a bit on the acceptable quality of the posts
  to emphasize that this discussion is more important than normal.

  4. Let the discussion run for a few days to give people a chance
  to think about and compose good responses.  The plan would be for
  the discussion to end in time for the new one to begin on Monday.

-ED

Edward Glowacki			glowack2 at msu.edu
A PBS mind in an MTV world.
	-- Author unknown