[MUD-Dev] ADMIN: Effective progress methods for MUD-Dev (was Re: Better Combat (long))

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Mon Aug 16 16:36:30 CEST 2004

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 10:19:27 -0700
Jeff Freeman <Freeman> wrote:
> J C Lawrence wrote:

>> http://www.nature.com/news/2004/040802/full/040802-19.html

>> The contention is:

>> --<cut>--
>> Byrne speculates that the behaviour may actually be widespread,
>> but that it could be limited to those who are expert in their
>> field. She thinks the ability to falsify is somehow linked to the
>> vast database of knowledge that experts such as grand masters -
>> or scientists - accumulate. "People who know their area are more
>> likely to look for ways that things can go wrong for them," she
>> says.
>> --<cut>--

> On a related note, "Smart People Believe Weird Things" by Michael
> Shermer.

Similarly tangentially related is Richard Hamming's talk "You and
Your Research" on "Why do so few scientists make significant
contributions and so many are forgotten in the long run?":

  http://lispmeister.com/downloads/you-and-your-research.html

It could be interesting to implement a number of his observations on
the list.  For instance I've considered dedicating MUD-Dev one day
per week to "What are the important problems/questions in the
field?"  The idea is that on that day of the week only posts which
addressed that question would be moderated.  A similar pattern could
work for "Great Thoughts Time" (!tm).

Writing as list host:

  I kinda like the idea.  Thoughts?  Which day or days?

--
J C Lawrence