[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: Active and Inactive currency

Ian McDonald ian.mcdonald at bbc.co.uk
Tue Apr 20 10:30:41 CEST 2004

From: Freeman, Jeff

> For example, we have a standard faucet, sink, drain model.  Money
> enters the system, swirls around a bit, and then leaves the
> system.

> But I thought about the tracking we're doing and how we're
> overlooking some drains (banned, cancelled and inactive accounts
> chief among them), along with 'sponges' which don't have a
> real-world parallel, I don't think.

In the real world, economists talk about various different kinds of
"Money Supply". They call them things like M0, M1, M2, M3 when they
try to quantify them, depending on whether they include semi-liquid
assets (eg diamonds, gold), credit card debts, et cetera.

It sounds like the "sponge" you're talking about is simply a less
liquid bit of the money supply. The solution is probably to
temporarily exclude the "sponged" money from the money supply (the
amount of money in the economy), and to track not only the amount of
available cash, but also the value of all monetisable assests.=20

I'm not sure whether the number of transactions is really a metric
of a healthy economy. Real world economies use GDP.

Of course, Real World economies use interest rates on moneylending
to regulate their economies as well. But I suspect moneylending
would be abused by players: has anyone got it to work in their
games?