[MUD-Dev] [News] Virtual goods--Oh, the controversy!

Brian Hook hook_l at bookofhook.com
Sat Apr 10 13:34:04 CEST 2004

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 10:46:20 -0400, Jeff Fuller wrote:

> You don't get to the top level because you 'ground it ou't. You
> need to understand your character and how to play it, to get that
> far.

That's not skill, that's experience and learning.  Yes, a complete
newbie given an uberlevel character will suck, but experienced
players aren't, as a rule, devising new tactics on their own,
they're copying the tactics devised by a very small minority.

It took one person to figure out the FD exploit in EQ for power
leveling, yet is it "skill" when a bunch of other people read about
it and learn to do it?  Are they more "skilled" than someone that
didn't read about it and thus never learned it?  I don't think so.

That's not to say that they couldn't devise tactics that are
effective, but in my experience everyone learns from everyone else
how to approach combat.

Brian