[MUD-Dev] [News] Virtual goods--Oh, the controversy!

Jeff Fuller jeff at originmail.com
Sat Apr 10 10:46:20 CEST 2004

Amanda Walker said:

> As opposed to the current near unlimited advantage to the
> unemployed and students?  I'm not sure this is a strong argument.

Why must every game be a race to level "ubber"? The games are
designed to be played, time sinks are part of playing. When your
searching for a long lost artifact, it's not laying out in the
middle of the sand, it's hidden somewhere on someone. Most games
depict that through low drop loot tables. Many of these items are
intended to be 'rare' and rewarded to only the most diligent of
players.

> Grinding is not a skill.  Very few commercial offerings involve
> skill.

Once again it's about getting to level "ubber".  And I would beg to
differ on the requirements of skill. You don't get to the top level
because you 'ground it ou't. You need to understand your character
and how to play it, to get that far.

>"Win?"  How does one win an MMO game?

For many the "Win" is the top level, playing the top content. Every
MMO has an End Game, yes the bar gets raised occationally with
expansions, but for most players this is the "Win". There is another
aspect of "Win" when your involved in PvP. Some weapons/armor are so
powerful that they give players and unprescedented advantage. These
items are once again intended to be rare in the game world. Rewards
for only the most diligent players. Selling players the very best
armor/weapons/spells with real life cash is basically buying the
"Win".