[MUD-Dev] Player Justice

Jeff Fuller jeff at originmail.com
Mon Apr 5 09:02:23 CEST 2004

Baar said:

> I have to agree with Jester. The last thing you want to do is to
> make your job harder by loosing track of the griefer. Once you
> have identified them the most effective strategy I've seen is to
> simply remove them from circulation without them realising it. Let
> them roam around and talk to other players. Let them speak on
> channels. But don't let anyone but them see what they are
> saying. They'll run around giving the finger to people and making
> lewd comments, while snickering with their friends like Beavis and
> Butthead, "*snicker* I just gave Strayline the finger. *snicker*",
> but the other players won't even realise they are there. Others
> may see them enter/leave a room and say hello to them and whatnot,
> but they'll not see the response. You will be very surprised to
> see how long it can take for them to realise that nobody has any
> idea that they exist.

I'm a programmer for voice mail/chat dating systems and we've found
this to be one of the more effective ways of dealing with trouble
users. Let them think they are harrassing everyone on the system,
but never send their actions to any users. They will think they are
just being ignored by everyone. Eventually they give up since they
no longer get the satisfaction of bothering anyone.

Another idea for punishment might be to set an experience penalty
for those players. That way they can still play the game but they
suffer a 5% xp loss or something of that nature. Maybe increase
their failure rate on tradeskill combines, stuff like that.