[MUD-Dev] Player Justice

cruise cruise at casual-tempest.net
Mon Apr 5 07:57:55 CEST 2004

Baar - Lord of the Seven Suns wrote:

> I have to agree with Jester. The last thing you want to do is to
> make your job harder by loosing track of the griefer. Once you
> have identified them the most effective strategy I've seen is to
> simply remove them from circulation without them realising it.

We did a similar thing for our Half-Life mod (I know, not a MUD, but
the principle applies) - if we detected a cheat DLL, we simply
reduced the damage the player did to 1%. They'd get all the hit
effects, but they'd never actually manage to kill anyone. And like
you say, often they wouldn't realise, and wonder why they couldn't
0wn0rz anyone even with their amazing cheats...

This idea has many possibilities in an RPG type game - scale down
damage resistance, armour effectiveness, speed, weapon damage,
weapon accuracy...all sorts of stats can be subtlely tweaked. If
only adjusted a little on each "offense", it won't significantly
harm occasional/accidental offenders, but repeated offences would
have a distinct effect - but one that likely wouldn't be noticable
if it builds up over time.

--
[ cruise / casual-tempest.net / transference.org ]
   "quantam sufficit"