[MUD-Dev] ghost mode (was Re: SW:G)

Spot northspot at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 22 12:23:15 CEST 2003

From: "Amanda Walker" <amanda at alfar.com>
> On Thursday, September 18, 2003, at 07:46  PM, Rayzam wrote:

>>   Starting character: $2/month
>>   Medium character: $10/month
>>   High character: $15/month

> How about the other way around: pay a fee to level your character
> (this is, in effect, what ebay character trades do).  So many
> cents per xp or something.  I'd be all over that.  Time is money.
> And this way, the game provider gets the profit, not players who
> farm stuff for ebay from their dorm room.

> The powerlevelers could still have fun: "Heh, I can level up a new
> character for free, not like those bozos that have to pay."  Those
> of us with more income than time can have fun: "I can keep up with
> my friends even though I'm working 80 hours a week for the next 3
> months". Those of us with intermittent connectivity have an
> alternative to getting permanently out of sync: "My guildmates
> pitched in to by me 5 levels while I was on duty in the desert."

> Scale the fee to how long it would generally take in normal play,
> so that the game provider makes the same amount of money either
> way.

Personally I like both of these ideas, but I think it'd be even
better if you could apply them on a world-by-world basis...This way
you could have the hardcore gamers and ALL had to level themselves
on one world.

But, a 2nd world a group of guys could play together and if someone
fell behind, they could just opt to $$PAY$$ for the levels, so they
could continue to adventure with their buds (who may or may not have
a job and/or a life).

Either way the monthly fee based on Level seems fair, largely
because I enjoy playing the games, but don't devote my life to them,
and I know I myself will never get TOP levels in the game, which is
where the designers seem to focus much of their time.

This way I could be happy with my mid-level guy, and know that since
only 2/3's of the game is available for me at my current level, I
only pay 2/3rd's the monthly fee...sounds fair.

Spot (northspot at hotmail.com)
Sr. Software Engineer / Architect
(HomePage) http://www16.brinkster.com/spotshome/