[MUD-Dev] ghost mode (was Re: SW:G)

Corpheous Andrakin corpheous at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 22 11:18:09 CEST 2003

--- Amanda Walker <amanda at alfar.com> wrote:

> How about the other way around: pay a fee to level your character
> (this is, in effect, what ebay character trades do).  So many
> cents per xp or something.  I'd be all over that.  Time is money.
> And this way, the game provider gets the profit, not players who
> farm stuff for ebay from their dorm room.

> The powerlevelers could still have fun: "Heh, I can level up a new
> character for free, not like those bozos that have to pay."  Those
> of us with more income than time can have fun: "I can keep up with
> my friends even though I'm working 80 hours a week for the next 3
> months". Those of us with intermittent connectivity have an
> alternative to getting permanently out of sync: "My guildmates
> pitched in to by me 5 levels while I was on duty in the desert."

> Scale the fee to how long it would generally take in normal play,
> so that the game provider makes the same amount of money either
> way.

> Anything see a problem with this business model?

So you can gain xp through money OR work?  What happens when you
have high level people who already paid who offer fees lower than
yours to level up characters?  They would have nothing to lose other
than their monthly fee which I'm quite sure they could more than
make up if they offered pay services of their own to level people up
through in game advancement instead of your pay system.

The previous idea of pay for access to more areas wasn't so bad.
That way you'll at least get rid of the old "I'm paying the same
amount as so and so and playing the same amount of time so I should
get X, Y and Z."

-Lee

=====
Corpheous