[MUD-Dev] ghost mode

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Fri Sep 12 10:29:28 CEST 2003

From: Corey Crawford [mailto:ccrawford at seventh.net]
> Thursday, September 11, 2003, 10:21:40 AM, Amanda Walker wrote:

>> I have to say that if MMORPG combat involved actual skill, I'd
>> find it much more engaging.  In games where I don't have to worry
>> about being looted of stuff I use elsewhere in the game, I have
>> great fun with PvP.

> There are games that do this, Planetside is the one that comes to
> mind. There are also numerous MUDs that have a Quake-style setup
> (TRON, Genesis) with ranking boards and everything.

> But if player skill is used at all then it's not really an RPG, is
> it?

That's a terribly narrow definition of RPG. Planetside has all the
character growth aspects of an RPG, yet it is fundamentally about
player skill. I think its brilliant, although I found the constant
struggle for bases a little wearing.

> What you are looking for is a Massively Multiplayer Online Game
> like Jedi Knight Online. Or Deus Ex Online. But can those be
> called RPGs?

> Unfortunantly, no MMOs have jumped on that boat yet. It would be
> much more fun than clicking 'attack' and watching the fight ensue.

What do you mean? Planetside has and you have already mentioned
that!

Online Jedi Knight would be absolutely splendid though. Despite
critical panning I absolutely adore JK2 as using the lightsabre was
like ballet. I'd clear a room, and if I didn't like the way I'd
decapitated the Imperials, I'd do it again and again until it met my
aesthetic criteria :)

Getting back on topic, I absolutely want MORE MMO games that depend
on player skill and not simply psyche damaging amounts of time
logged. We've had this discussion on the list before, and I believe
Raph said he didn't think it was particularly easy as it would
allienate the suprising majority of less skilled players. Screw em I
say.

Anyway I think the concern betrays an alarming lack of faith in the
average players ability to learn. Even if people lack natural
appitude, its amazing what practise will do. The real sticking point
imho is in making sure that the entry curve to the game is well
judged so that players have a chance to develop the skills without
being overwhelmed.

Dan