[MUD-Dev] BIZ: Who owns my sword?

ceo ceo at grexengine.com
Fri Sep 12 10:26:50 CEST 2003

Crosbie Fitch wrote:
> From: Matt Mihaly

> The problem is that a MMOG provider is seen as being entirely
> responsible for the virtual environment they provide, and
> consequently the behaviour of players within it. And consequent to
> that, the safety of those players.

> If you buy a PC from WalMart are they responsible for your
> psychological well being when you play Counter Strike? I don't
> think so.

> I'm trying to suggest that if the MMOG platform was separated from
> the MMOG content, that perhaps you could also separate out the
> moderation.

But, as I said, you can't just walk away from responsbility. Yet
another case in the news today:

"...the family of a man killed by teenagers who shot at passing cars
on a freeway file a lawsuit against Grand Theft Auto publisher
Take-Two.

The two teenagers - William and Joshua Buckner, 16 and 14 years old,
respectively - opened fire on vehicles on the Interstate 40 highway
in Tennessee with a .22 calibre rifle, killing one person and
injuring another severely.

They told the police who arrested them that they were bored, and
decided to mimick their favourite videogame, Grand Theft Auto. The
family of the victim, 45-year-old nurse Aaron Hamel, have now filed
suit against Take-Two Interactive, claiming that the company should
take responsibility for his death."

  http://theregister.co.uk/content/54/32765.html

Adam M