[MUD-Dev] ghost mode (was Re: SW:G)

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Wed Sep 10 12:12:25 CEST 2003

From: Vladimir Cole [mailto:vladimir_cole at yahoo.com]
> Amanda Walker wrote:

>> At the risk of performing a 'me too', [ghost mode] absolutely
>> strikes a chord with me. When I play any sort of adventure game,
>> be they text or graphical, single player or online, the one thing
>> that draws me on is the desire to be able to see all the content
>> at will.

> Problem with ghost mode is that it makes it too easy for players
> that are lower on the content totem pole to discover spoilers for
> content that they are having trouble with. This will tend to
> accelerate the advancement of all players. Is there any way to
> build content so that it's spoiler proof? If not, it'll get chewed
> up even faster.

Exactly. Furthermore, Amandas contention that she wants to see the
content without the grunt work required to do it, is part of the
incentive a developer creates for people to actually play the
game. The last thing you want is people being able to see and do
everything as soon as they first log in. Its hardly likely to
prolong subscription revenue is it?

Dan