[MUD-Dev] BIZ: Who owns my sword?

ren at aldermangroup.com ren at aldermangroup.com
Mon Sep 8 14:18:51 CEST 2003

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 Daniel Anderson wrote

> I don't think that will ever happen when one considers the legal
> system will probably never take MMOs too seriously.

I think this stuff is being taken a lot more seriously these days,
if only because of Lessig's Code & Law work.

There is a whole conference at New York Law School later this year
on the Law and virtual worlds:

  The State of Play: Law, Games, and Virtual Worlds
  November 13-15, 2003
  http://www.nyls.edu/content.php?ID=1553

Plus I give papers at academic conferences (and not always 'games
studies' I do philosophy, sociology and legal conferences too)
fairly regularly on the topic of virtual property and identity and a
paper coming out in an international legal journal pretty soon. I
generally have very little difficulty convincing people that vitual
can equal important.

Also Molly Stephens has published in the Texas Law Review (which is
hardly a comic book), and currently in the works is a draft paper
from Greg Lastowka and Dan Hunter on laws and virtual worlds
generally

Having said all this, it's interesting that Ted Castronova's recent
paper on avatar 'gender' and value, was not accepted by that grand
economics journal.

Ren
www.renreynolds.com