[MUD-Dev] BIZ: Who owns my sword?

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt hhs at cbs.dtu.dk
Mon Sep 8 12:57:31 CEST 2003

On Friday 05 September 2003 11:50, Ren Reynolds wrote:
> From: Corpheous Andrakin

>> It's time for a look at the virtual laws of the world and realize
>> that it's time for some change to go on.  The laws of old no
>> longer apply to today's world.  So who owns the sword?  The
>> answer is simple.

>> It's a rental.

> Sorry to bang the same drum but: swords, player-characters \
> avatars, gold or just about any other virtual items are not owned
> by anyone.

I do not think it really is important.

Avatars cannot ever be protected against a big dragon swooping down
on them, eating their avatar, an all their equipment in one go, as
soon as they log in, when the player support finds that the avartar
has been sold on EBAY. That can even be a part of the game rules,
just as having very small STR ability makes it harder for your
avatar to carry heavy stuff.

"unfair!" someone may cry, but _I_ think its unfair that my avatar
cannot carry tons of stuff even though my STR stat is small, but
what can you do?

This way the game service providers effectively sets the law of what
may be traded and what not. Regardless of who owns anything the
designers naturally may set the rules, otherwise game design of
_any_ sort is impossible.

--
--Hans-Henrik Stærfeldt