[MUD-Dev] BIZ: Who owns my sword?

Matthew Dobervich matthew.dobervich2 at verizon.net
Thu Sep 4 22:26:53 CEST 2003

Scott Jennings wrote:

> If you make MMO companies as liable as doctors to malpractice
> suits, many fewer commercial MMOs (none, in other words) will be
> made. I suspect this is not something you want to encourage.

I'm not sure it's fair to say "none".  Would they make a very risky
property from a publisher's point of view more so?  Yes, to a
debatable extent, but I'm willing to give you "very much".

But as with all risk, the rewards for success become greater.
Regardless of the risks, you will always find takers.

Don't you think it took some balls for New Line to commit to making
THREE EXPENSIVE fantasy films at once headed by some "no-name" kiwi
hobbit with the initials P.J.?

In the long run, I don't really see how this can be avoided.
Especially as Persistant Worlds evolve beyond their current simple
application as entertainment in a fantasy or science fiction
setting.