[MUD-Dev] MMO Launch issues ruining potential segments of the market.

Tess Snider malkin at terpalum.umd.edu
Thu Jun 19 18:32:31 CEST 2003

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Luca Girardo wrote:

> http://www.legacyonline.net/ . "Boring" if a word you will often
> see connected with the TSO name. Is TSO boring because of the
> non-combat social aspect? Is it boring because of the lack of
> content? Or is it boring because it did not attract the right type
> of customer group at the beginning?

I was in the beta for TSO, really close to release.  I have great
respect for many of the folks who worked on this game, so I
apologize in advance if I say anything that makes anyone blue.

My feeling was that TSO simply wasn't good at being the one thing it
was most desperately trying to be.  It was supposed to be a social
game.  It was marketed as a social game.  Its appeal -- its market
-- was all centered around it being a social game.  Yet, every time
you try to sit down and talk to someone, your avatar's needs get in
the way.

Social Games Rule #1: Don't ever let your game mechanics get in the
way of actually being social.