[MUD-Dev] Designing Virtual Worlds

Richard A. Bartle richard at mud.co.uk
Wed Jul 30 09:44:48 CEST 2003

On 29 July 2003, Daniel Harman wrote:

> Picked it up in New York last week. It was still steaming it was
> so hot off the press!

Sounds like you got your copy before I got mine, then!

> Just finished the Jessica Mulligan book whilst on vacation
> too. Has anyone else read that, and what are their thoughts?

I was one of the technical reviewers for this book. I think most of
the core content by Bridgette & Jessica was there, but the padding
by other authors (myself included) wasn't. I haven't read the
finished copy yet, however, as I have 2 1/2 other books before it in
my stack.

>From what I recall, it's almost inconceivable that anyone seriously
planning on developing or running a commercial virtual world
wouldn't benefit to some degree from reading a copy of this book.

> I found it informative, although its mostly uncommon common sense.

That phrase "uncommon common sense" sums up its merits very well.

Actually they could probably have written anything they liked, given
that new developers are only going to ignore it anyway and continue
to make the same mistakes everyone else has...

> P.s. Richard, will you autograph my copy? ;)

OK, although this is predicated on my being in the same location as
the book at some point in time, of course. Also, you might want to
read it first in case you feel like throwing it at the wall or
setting it on fire or something.

		Richard