[MUD-Dev] Designing Virtual Worlds

Jacob Cord jacobc at chiefarchitect.com
Wed Jul 30 09:25:48 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 04:12, Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:
> From: Richard A. Bartle [mailto:richard at mud.co.uk]

>> OK, my book is now out, for those of you interested in such
>> things. Amazon.com has it (along with scans of 97 sample pages)
>> at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0131018167/ .

>> I've but up a supporting web site, mainly featuring a
>> bibliography, at http://mud.co.uk/dvw/index.html .

> Picked it up in New York last week. It was still steaming it was
> so hot off the press!

I just got my 'Bartle' 2 days ago, still warm from sitting on my
porch in the sun in its delivery box :)

> If you are looking for technical info on server or game system
> design, this isn't the book. It does have a lot of information
> which strikes me as useful for larger scale operations. I don't
> think the average mud admin would gain much though unless they
> wanted to go commercial. In fact, if you have a commercial
> software development background and are used to processes and
> controls, a lot of this book will be ideas you are already
> familiar with.

I'm no professional game designer, but I've already found it very
informative, insightful, and just plain helpful in my design
processes. While there is a feel for being geared towards the
commercial project, I do think that the chapters on players and
world design are helpful to both commercial and non-commercial
designers (that's as far as I've read).  If you're starting (or
hopefully not too far into) a project and haven't seen this book,
get it - it could save you from some very costly mistakes.

Jacob

Is this the autograph line? :)