[MUD-Dev] Counting Massive Multi Players

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Tue Jul 29 12:32:03 CEST 2003

From: Madrona Tree [mailto:madronatree at hotmail.com]

> Maybe this is a dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.
> Why, if it is impossible to confirm Social Security Numbers, do
> you require one to play?

> Or are you saying that it *is* possible to confirm SSNs, but it is
> impossible to confirm that they aren't used for multiple accounts?

Well the obvious way around it, even if they do ensure each is
unique, is to borrow a non players (wife, girlfriend, parents etc).

Is it easy to get hold of a database of valid social security
numbers? I can't imagine it would be in the UK. If they have a
checksum embedded, I can imagine that being the only validation
used.

As to why they want it, I'm speculating, but I suspect it is the
best way they can think of uniquely ID'ing people given the way
payments are handled.

Dan