[MUD-Dev] RE: Academic rejection of male/female paper

Castronova Castronova
Sat Jul 12 14:25:06 CEST 2003

From: "Richard A. Bartle" <richard at mud.co.uk>

> On the one hand, you're experiencing the same anti-game bias that
> has been restricting research in this area for years;

That's depressing, isn't it? No matter the discipline, everyone I
talk to who works on games reports poo-pooing from the powers that
be. Computer science even.

> on the other hand, if the reviewer had actually understood
> anything about virtual worlds then he or she may well have asked
> the same questions that we did on this list (although, to be fair,
> most of the arguments concerned what people thought your paper
> said, not what it actually said).

Yes, and I would have been well-prepared to amend the paper to
address these concerns, since they had been expressed so well here!

> I'm sure you'll get it published elsewhere, though.

I will try one or two more journals, then let it die. In the
internet age, the thing is more 'published' now than it would be if
some journal printed it. Nobody reads journals, but lots of people
read blogs.

I do appreciate your encouragement! Thanks.

Edward Castronova