[MUD-Dev] RE: Academic rejection of male/female paper

Castronova Castronova
Sat Jul 12 14:19:24 CEST 2003

From: Tess Snider <malkin at terpalum.umd.edu>
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Castronova, Edward wrote:

>> Among professional people, the line between the virtual and the
>> real is still very thick. Food for thought.

> I wonder what in the world your reviewer thinks paper money is.
> What about money in the bank?  I think it's a bit narrow-minded to
> confine economics to "real" things, when modern money barely
> exists as a "real" thing, in the first place.

You're absolutely right. It's a really basic point in econ that
diamonds have value even though they are useless. Value is
subjective. Unfortunately, not too many economists seem to remember
basic principles when they review unusual research. The field isn't
strong on the vision thing; they are mostly applied mathematicians.

I remember when I posted some of my work to Slashdot, and someone
said "This guy is just trying to boost his career with this stuff."
Riiiiight. Research saying that real things happen in games,
including cross-dressing, is going to boost my career with
economists. lol.

o well.

/LFJ on
You are now Looking For A Job.