[MUD-Dev] Programming Languages.

Roy Trubshaw Roy at museltd.demon.co.uk
Sat Jul 5 15:53:14 CEST 2003

In message <NGBBJNOEEAKKLCPLEJCBCEAMCPAA.richard at mud.co.uk>, Richard
A. Bartle <richard at mud.co.uk> writes

> His name was Mike Anderiesz, and he's still involved in computer
> games (he interviewed me a last year for "a HUGE feature" in PC
> Zone on online games - I don't know if it was ever published).

I seem to remember reading something ... but it may have been in
Linux Today (or whatever it's called) we made it into Newsweek a few
months ago!

> It may have been his decision to use the "you haven't lived..."
> line as a marketing slogan, but it wasn't his line. I came up with
> that in, hmm, 1979 when Nigel Roberts was creating an account for
> us on MIT's system (I think - it could have been Stanford). The
> account-creation process asked for a line that described the user,
> and we needed something fast because the connection could have
> gone down at any moment. On the spur of the moment, I suggested
> "You haven't lived until you've died in MUD", and that's what
> Nigel typed. It got us some players, as I recall.

Of course I don't remember anything of this ... but that's
difference between genius (not me) and merely talented!

> Proud owner of http://www.youhaventlived.com .

I'll have to have a look!

Toodle pip,
Roy Trubshaw
--
"... the fundamental design flaws are completely hidden by the
superficial design flaws."