[MUD-Dev] Programming Languages.

MIKE MacMartin mike at igs.net
Sat Jul 5 15:38:49 CEST 2003

On July 4, 2003 12:15 pm, Kwon J. Ekstrom wrote:

> This is inaccurate, you're 100% guaranteed that the garbage
> collector will pick up any object and run it's finalize method if
> you remove all references to an object.  You're not guaranteed
> when this will happen.

Actually, according to Java in a Nutshell, Finalize methods are not
woth the time to write as the Java _standard_ does not guarantee
them being called.  Nor does the _standard_ guarantee that the
objects go away before the app does.  You're right, however, in that
in practice it's not an issue.  (I have problems with the fact that
you're depending on implementations doing your work for you).

> Since you stated that C++ is the language you know best, then go
> for it.  Of course, Java is the language I know best.

Well, yeah.  I know Java fairly well, but C++ enough to take
advantage of all the things that other object oriented languages
_should_ have, but don't (templates, mainly.  I heard Java's getting
them soon.  One more thing that they'll do right - I hate the
collections in Java due to the huge number of casts that you're
required to do to use it).  Of course, to each their own, but I
can't see how anyone can say that Java's a fundamentally better
language than C++ - for specific applications, yes, it is, but
overall, C++ is better if you know it.  I guess it's the "if you
know it" that gets in the way ;)

Well, enough rambling from me ...

MIKE
--