[MUD-Dev] Programming Languages.

F. Randall Farmer randy.farmer at pobox.com
Thu Jul 3 09:37:55 CEST 2003

I like single-threaded Java-based multiuser servers for a simple
reason:

  No ... crashes ... ever. Every Java-based platform I've helped
  create on has run continuously (with out a crash) for months on
  end (unless we took it down for an upgrade.) Several of them were
  found to be running beyond the useful lifetime of the service they
  were hosting. :-)

I won't get in any arguments about the cost/benefit tradeoffs
because that is exactly what they are: trade-offs. I happen to
trade-oof heavily in favor of end-user reliability. Your milage may
vary.

Randy