[MUD-Dev] Architecture (Cell Rebalancing)

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Thu Jul 3 09:18:33 CEST 2003

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 10:15:55 +0200
Peter Rossmann <Peter> wrote:
> "J C Lawrence" <claw at kanga.nu> wrote:

>> Hit the list archives.  Its all there.

> i know there are some pearls in the archives, but without the search
> function working, it's a though job,i am reading articles based on
> subject - which means i'll miss many of them.

Use Google.  Kanga.Nu is exceptionally well and frequently indexed by
Google.

That said I hope to be making an announcement about the Kanga.Nu
archives and their accessibility this weekend which should change the
lay of the land significantly.  Given the way things stand now it will
most likely be an "open beta" rollout via Meta...

> ("An error occured!  could not connect to server: Connection refused
> Is the server running on host localhost and accepting TCP/IP
> connections on port 5432?" )

Damn.

>> Start out by stating what you want to do.  Clearly, simply, in no
>> more than a half dozen nice declarative sentences.  Beat on that for
>> a while

> this is exactly what am i doing now.

To date that I've noticed you mention a statement of what you want to
accomplish -- what the goal is in simple, concrete and absolute terms.

> too much abstraction is problem only at the start of implementation...

Nahh.  Design is dictated by the constraints it operates under.  If
those constraints are unnecessary but assumed abstraction levels, then
your design will tend to be artificially defined by those useless
factors.  I'm a fan of minimalism in the design process and design
product.

> But i agree - too much abstraction at the enddesign leaves too many
> options to implementators. if all the possible options are equivalent,
> that's not a problem. but they usualy aren't.

That's where requirements definition come in.  If the implementation
possibilities satisfy requirements then there's no (design) problem as
to which choice is made.  Or, perhaps more simply, one of my favourite
statements as a designer:

  I don't care.

Pick the things that have to be defined and leave the rest alone to
those on the metal (which is usually me under another hat, but hey).

--
J C Lawrence