[MUD-Dev] Powergaming (was Star Wars Galaxies: 1 character per server)

Kwon Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Tue Jan 14 22:47:26 CET 2003

From: "Damion Schubert" <damion at zenofdesign.com>
>> John Robert Arras posted on Friday, January 03, 2003 10:29 AM

>>> I think it's a question of how the game is set up. I have played
>>> and run MUDs where powerlevelling is fun and worthwhile. The
>>> problem is setting up the mechanics correctly. The system I've
>>> seen has following:

> For a huge part of the game-playing community, optimizing one's
> gameplay is fun.  I got to spend a day with Jon Van Canegham, who
> is

> MUDs and MMPs seem to be the only genre where designers actively
> try to discourage players from finding the most efficient path.
> In fact, every other genre of game is training players to
> powergame.  All in the name of 'roleplaying' - an activity that a
> minority of the game population actually prefers.

I agree that powergaming is fun (being a powergamer myself), and as
an admin I like to encourage it, while making it difficult.  It's
nice to see someone who shares that viewpoint on this list, it seems
lately that everyone is aiming toward perfect balance and catering
toward the casual players.  There is alot of fun to be had with
equal but unbalanced powers.  There should be no single "do this and
you win" set, but there should be plenty of opportunities for a
smart player to use knowledge and skill to rise above the "average"
player.

-- Kwon J. Ekstrom