[MUD-Dev] Much Respect to JessicaM

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Fri Sep 6 13:42:45 CEST 2002

From: "Michael Tresca" <talien at toast.net>

> No more traditional movies.  You plop the camera in a MMORPG, buy
> the rights from the guys who participate, clean it up, and sell
> it.  That's your next movie.  Virtual actors have already removed
> the need for storyboarders since you're filming the action in real
> time and can tweak the characters' actions later. Less and less
> traditional film roles are necessary.

Just FYI, at the Camelot Fan Faire in DC this last June, there was a
contest for the best in-game movie (which is part of the "mechanima"
movement of videos from game engines and has been quite popular in
Camelot).  The winner got an AlienWare laptop worth roughly $5K
retail.  I have no idea what they did with it, but at least
potentially it could have been sold on eBay for $3K or so.  Not bad
for a zero-budget independant film.

> No more traditional music.  The war's on already.  Small bands get
> their music out on the Internet.  Thus the long, slow death
> struggle of the music industry.  They're losing control and the
> means of making money off of the industry in a traditional
> fashion.  Worse, the market (i.e., us) has a more direct influence
> over the success of a product every day.  More and more, producers
> are going STRAIGHT to consumers, no middleman included.

Generally there's still a middleman, but they are now a conduit
rather than a gateway.  They succeed by efficiently connecting
producer and consumer, rather than creating artificial scarcity.

Part of why people have trouble understanding the MMOG business
model's success is that it is a very *old* business model, that has
never succeeded on these scales before: Create a place that will
attract people, get them to form friendships with the other people
there, then charge them to hang out with their friends.  Bars have
been doing this for centuries, possibly millenia.  In this case,
everyone is both a producer and a consumer.

--Dave