[MUD-Dev] Ballerium: Interesting Game

Crosbie Fitch crosbie at cyberspaceengineers.org
Fri Sep 6 10:55:02 CEST 2002

From: John Arras

> I was surfing and I came across this site:

>   http://www.majorem.com/

> and their game: Ballerium. I am not sure what to make of it, but
> they're trying to make a MMORTS, where you don't leave the world
> when you log out, but instead stay online controlled by AI.

I spoke to a chappie on their stand at ECTS (http://www.ects.com/)
last week. Picked up a couple of brochures (with many typos).

I guess they're racing to claim the crown and territory open to the
creators of the first popular MMORTS.

I don't think it's at beta yet, though I think they may be looking
forward to invite beta testers to apply.

The trouble is, for a persistent and massive RTS, you start to need
facilities to enable hierarchies and delegation. From answers to my
questions, Ballerium is only going to have an alliance feature. I
think it's going to be fun in the short term, but a bit too chaotic
for much hope of empire building (until they add the necessary
features).

That said, you've got to start somewhere, and I'm certainly looking
forward to playing a decent MMORTS. Good luck to Majorem!

I've often thought that Blizzard should already be working hard to
ensure they're first with such a thing. Guess not...