[MUD-Dev] 3rd Axis for Bartle's 2 axis theory of MUD players

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Thu Oct 17 09:59:25 CEST 2002

From: "Boyle, Paul" <PBoyle at maxis.com>

> For those few of you who haven't read Richard Bartle's paper on
> Mud players, here's a link

>   http://www.mud.co.uk/richard/hcds.htm

> I propose that there's a third axis that, when added, adds a better
> description for player behavior we see today.

> I call this axis 'faces and numbers'

FWIW, I've played with the same concept as an "Immersion" axis,
basicly the distinction between being in the world and treating it
as if it were a real space, and being outside of it, manipulating
the properties of a game.  Many of the social problems of these
games center on the split between these viewpoints.

--Dave