[MUD-Dev] Future of MMOGs

Dave Trump trump at trumps.net
Wed Oct 16 01:53:21 CEST 2002

At 05:10 PM 10/8/2002 +0000, Jeremy Noetzelman  wrote:

> That said, I think commercial efforts will always be at the top of
> the heap, primarily for financial reasons.  Bandwidth alone is a
> staggering cost for 3d environments, and you'd be amazed at the
> costs generated by FPS games, let alone the costs associated with
> a fully p2p mmog system.  Peer to Peer mmogs are definitely a
> viable model.  However, I think the best place for them to be
> adopted is in a loose network of commercial nodes.  Expecting
> there to be a Napster-like MMOG is just foolish.

A totally free MMOG is perhaps an impossibility there is certainly
room for other business models.

NWN's DSO mod (http://darksunonline.org) has pulled in something
like $300 in donations in the last week alone, even though there are
rarely more than 20 players online at once.

I've always though the standard pay $x a month to play the game
model was moronic.  As evidenced by accounts selling for $1000's on
ebay it's obvous that there is a significant number of people who
are willing to pay much, much more.  I'm truly amazed that no one
has moved to a tiered system yet.  If I were to pridict something
about the future of MMOGs it would be that set fees wont last much
longer.

Wallets open wide when you provide something that entertainment
people really enjoy.

  http://www.themercs.org/MessageBoard/messages/14076.html