[MUD-Dev] People were talking about resets..

Anderson Anderson
Tue May 14 10:48:08 CEST 2002

From: shren [mailto:shren at io.com]

> Which forces you farther out of character, spawning or having to
> spare "evil" "monsters" so you have something to mindlessly kill
> tomorrow?

That's a pretty good point.  I'd rather not encourage people to
leave around mobs that RP wise they should be slaying as fast as
possible.

> Like you're fighting an uphill battle - unless you've made a vast
> mud, spawn is the only thing that keeps the players from clearing
> it in a half day.  Trying to have some kind of natural spawning
> occur is nice from a thematic point of view but avoiding
> extinction is non-trivial.

Well, I'm also trying to figure out a way to encourage people to not
focus as much on killing mobs.  I've tried a few other muds which
have a basic mining & tailor & forging & fishing system which allows
people to get experience from tasks other than killing.  I figure if
you add enough tasks that could help your character (gathering gold
from a mountain while getting experience could be useful), then
perhaps a lower % of characters would be killing creatures.  But
you're right, I know one large character generally can clean an area
in 10-15 minutes at worst, so it would still be difficult to have
them realistically spawn fast enough for a group of a few people who
are bored.

Dave