[MUD-Dev] Extensibility

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Tue May 14 08:04:31 CEST 2002

shren writes:
> On Wed, 8 May 2002, John Buehler wrote:
>> Sean Kelly writes:
>>> From: "Ben Chambers" <bjchamb at bellsouth.net>

>>> No need for a recompile or even a restart if you design it
>>> correctly.  This is the reason for interfaces.  This is one of
>>> the few features I wish C++ had, though you can get fairly close
>>> with DLLs.

>> Use Microsoft's C# to make classes with COM interfaces and stuff
>> 'em into the DLLs that you want for the load granularity that you
>> need.  A new version of a component implementation is a new
>> component, in a distinct DLL and a distinct class identifier,
>> permitting simultaneous operation.

> You can do all of this with COM or CORBA.  C# just makes it
> easier.  COM and CORBA are both written on top of RPC, which also
> forces you to define your interfaces cleanly.

Note that COM is not an implementation.  COM is just a standard.
COM+ is an implementation (not created by the originators of the COM
standard).  RPC is a non-sequitor for local components, of course -
which is important for the newcomer to realize.

If somebody wants to implement interfaces in the COM style
(i.e. IUnknown), then C# is a good language for doing it.  COM-style
interfaces can be implemented in any number of languages, including
C, C++ and Visual Basic.  My old research group at Microsoft tells
me that C# is a great language for interface implementation.  From
what I've been told, I wish I'd been working in it instead of C.

I make no claims about CORBA other than to say that it had its
detractors at Microsoft.  Big surprise, I know.  Oh, I get it
confused with COBRA insurance all the time, too.

JB