[MUD-Dev] Codename Blue & Facets - Nick Yee's new studies

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Tue May 14 07:51:15 CEST 2002

Nick Yee writes:
> From: John Buehler <johnbue at msn.com>

>>> I would say that the explorer type doesn't have material to
>>> entertain it in the three games mentioned.

>> You can say that, but then you'd have to reconcile it with this
>> page:

>>   http://www.andreasen.org/bartle/stats.cgi

> The short answer is that a dichotomized test using a non-validated
> categorization does not produce valid results.

Your point is absolutely well-taken and I completely agree with the
problem of dichotomized tests (new phrase for me).  However, I know
that I enjoy the exploration of the new, and from a psychological
standpoint I can see how exploration (opportunities for learning)
would be an innate motivation for players.  Perhaps the version of
'explorer' that you attempted to uncover isn't a match for the
Bartle type.  Or, as I suggested, perhaps your choice of phrase
actually caused players to answer in terms of their experiences with
the specific game that they were playing.

How were the poll participants reached?  What was the context in
which they answered the poll questions?

JB