[MUD-Dev] [MLP] Why care about levels? (was: The use of ecolo

Richard Woolcock KaVir at t-online.de
Sun May 5 23:25:46 CEST 2002

On Wed, 01 May 2002, shren wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Vincent Archer wrote:

>> However, the last 3 stats do not have a cap. They are open-ended;
>> they can go as high as you want. And while AC has a diminishing
>> influence (when you go over the monster attack rating, it doesn't
>> help much), the HP and MANA are as useful, whether they're the
>> first 100 or the last 100.

> In any system I've designed, I've always put in diminshing returns
> for almost all stats.  I like GURPS a lot for this reason - you
> rarely see n/10/10/10 characters in GURPS because, at some point,
> you have choices like 1 more point of IQ or 3 more points of a
> lower stat.  I think this does a lot to differentiate characters.
> At some point, one stops pumping your prime stat and starts
> working on the other stats, but this point is different for
> everyone.

The approach I used in Gladiator Pits, which I then expanded and
transferred over to God Wars II, is to make every stat equally
useful - so a point of STRENGTH gives +2 HEALTH, +1 ATTACK and +2
DAMAGE, while a point of STAMINA gives +4 HEALTH, +1 DEFENCE, +1
MANA and +1 PROTECTION (magical defence), and so on.

The idea then is that each of the eight stats are equally balanced,
so you can train whichever you like - however while mortal (the sort
of "newbie phase" before you've selected a "class"), there are stat
maximums at each "age" category, and the mud will also apply points
as each category is reached, ensuring that your character is at
least reasonably balanced.  When developing as a supernatural, the
mud boosts a stat each time you do the same, randomly selected
according to whichever type of supernatural creature you are.  There
are no stat caps, but even if you pump everything into one stat, the
mud will still ensure that you're reasonably well-rounded - and as
all of the stats are equally valuable, there aren't really issues
about which stat is "best".

KaVir.